Saturday, March 23, 2013

Basil & Bleu Egg Salad


What to do with all of those decorated eggs? Egg salad of course…and I am not talking about just mayo and mustard. This recipe is filled with spices, chopped basil, yogurt bleu cheese dressing and more.   

My kids love to decorate eggs…but absolutely no one in the house likes to eat hard boiled eggs. Don’t get me wrong, they will eat them but for some reason there is always something “better” they would prefer.

I myself am not much of a fan of the typical egg salad and am certainly not a fan of yellow mustard, but this sandwich blew my “brunch” taste buds away. Paprika and basil are definitely a match and instead of dumping a bunch of mayo in we supplemented with low-fat yogurt bleu cheese dressing.

Of course Tanner loved it…who wouldn't love a sandwich like this delivered to their mouth on a lazy day at home? He did however say, “This would be perfect with some bacon on it.” Yes. I agree. Everything could be improved with bacon. Well maybe not everything over time?!?!  


Ingredients:

1 dozen hard-boiled eggs, peeled and roughly chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons low-fat bleu cheese dressing
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:

Mix all ingredients.
Serve on toasted bread or in a wrap.
Seriously Yum!


Shared on: http://recipesfromapantry.com/wordpress/top-recipe-showcase/trs-march-2013/

5 comments:

  1. Ohh. I am definitely pinning this! I am trying to eat less eggs, but this is making me re-think egg salad. I'm excited to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that does look delicious! I love egg salad and think this will be a new one I might try. I think it's the fresh basil leaves that really make it pop. I came over from In & Out of the Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sandwich sure does look good. My family tries to eat eggs at at least one meal every week. They are inexpensive and healthy! I will have to give these a try! I am pinning this great recipe!

    Thanks for linking up to the In and Out of the Kitchen party! See you next week!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have just started to eat more eggs. I love them.

      Delete
  4. I love eggs. This is definitely a twist on regular egg salad. I know that bleu cheese makes it pop! I decorated eggs for my blog and my daughter decorated a different set and we had plenty of eggs going around. This would've come in handy. Visiting from http://makeitorfixit.com. Stop by when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete