Thursday, March 7, 2013

Classic Chicken Cordon Bleu


Have you ever watched “America’s Test Kitchen?” If you like to cook and you haven’t you are missing out! They take classic dishes and test different recipes to determine the best way to cook that signature dish. We have dozens of episodes on our DVR just waiting to come to life in our kitchen.

Thankfully, I am not the only one that cooks in my house. My husband Tanner is a seriously good cook. In fact, when it comes to eating I would be completely satisfied if he just cooked every day. I would even be happy to just clean up after work! Yes. He is that good.

Fact is…I love to cook too. I don’t just love to cook – I love to create. I like to take ordinary and kick it up a notch. Tanner on the other hand, loves to take something proven to be good and execute that dish to perfection. He likes tradition, measurements and balance. Needless to say he isn’t interested in stuffed dates or infused quinoa.

I on the other hand love dreaming up ideas to alter what has worked before. I call it “bringing it to a new level.” I enjoy the challenge of using required ingredients for an upcoming contest as much as I despise the limitations. Although he pretends to fear what kind of dinner I may serve, we do enjoy a little competition in the kitchen.

We do however agree on “America’s Test Kitchen” as they teach you how to truly make good food good. With a DVR full of episodes, tonight Tanner made Classic Chicken Cordon Bleu. We have tried to make this classic dish many times together and separately and this was by far the most amazing iteration.

As you may have noticed, I am not sharing the recipe for a few reasons. 1. This is not my recipe. 2. I did not make this delicious dinner. 3. America’s Test Kitchen claims all the rights to their recipes. I am however willing to share what made this classic dish so perfect.

Starting with stuffing…instead of taking the chicken and beating it out as usual, Tanner created a pocket in the chicken breast as instructed and stuffed with two ham pieces rolled up with shredded Swiss cheese.  If you have ever made Chicken Cordon Bleu before you would understand that using shredded Swiss is a no brainer that I must have missed many times ago.

The amazing crust that 6-year-old Liam proclaimed was sooooo good, was derived through a several dip process. First flour, then egg and finally freshly baked bread crumbs with crumbled Ritz crackers. Yes…he made his own bread crumbs in the food processor and baked to perfection.  How can I compete with this perfection? Clean up! And that I did.

On the surface Tanner and I appear to be so different, but we meet together on so many other levels. In fact, our differences only add to what we call “passion” to the relationship. My biggest fan just so happens to be my biggest critic.

I think secretly he would like to have his own blog, but he would want a writer and marketing person on his team. That makes me think…he will want a wood project soon. I better get ready!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh that looks very yummy! I have always wanted to try making Chicken Cordon Bleu, have only eaten it once and thought it was wonderful! Following you on Pinterest, now. :)

    ReplyDelete