Sunday, April 28, 2013

Avocado Club Potato Hash Salad

The Reser’s 2nd annual America’s Best Potato Salad Recipe Contest is just heating up and I knew my inspiration from the start. Club sandwich + avocado garlic cream sauce + crispy baked hash style potatoes. YES!

I am still perfecting the recipe on paper tonight, but “boy oh boy” was this phenomenal. I know this to be true for two reasons. 1. Liam ate all of his and said “is this a recipe contest dinner?” That boy loved the garlic bite it had almost as much as he loves shoveling garlic dip in his mouth at a summer backyard BBQ. 2. Tanner dozed off on the couch after we read to the boys tonight and woke up to the sound of typing. The first thing out of his mouth was, “dinner was really good, but that potato salad was amazing.”



He said the same thing last year when I made my now famous Bruschetta Sausage Salad. Funny thing is I made that recipe with everything in my fridge just days before the end of the contest entry period. Of course I want to go to Vegas and compete again in 2013. Can I think of 5 things I would do different? YES!

Just sitting here now I can think of dozens of different potato salad recipes. Maybe I have another book idea on my hands?! Unfortunately I can only enter 1 recipe and I know this is a contender. 


Potato Hash Salad:
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and small cubed
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
Vegetable oil cooking spray
5 slices thick-cut Applewood smoked bacon, cooked and chopped
1/2 cup thick-cut black forest ham, small cubed
1/2 cup thick-cut pan roasted turkey, small cubed
1/2 cup Swiss cheese, cubed
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped

Avocado Garlic Cream Sauce:
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 ripe avocado

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 425°F.

In a medium bowl mix potato cubes with salt, pepper and olive oil. Spread potatoes on a large cookie sheet greased with vegetable oil cooking spray. Bake potatoes for 25 minutes or until browned. Set aside and cool.

Make avocado garlic cream sauce by blending the garlic, salt, lemon juice, yogurt, olive oil and avocado in a jar. Submerge an immersion blender in the mixture to the bottom of the jar. Mix for about 2 minutes or until the mixture reaches a texture similar to mayonnaise. You could also do this in a blender on high.

In a large bowl mix potatoes, bacon, ham, turkey, Swiss, cheddar, onion and tomatoes with avocado garlic cream sauce. Serve immediately or later…whatever!


1 comment:

  1. This looks delish. I must try this on my picky eater, my grandson is the most picky eater!

    I am a new follower via Bloglovin. Found you on Hump Day Blog. Pinning the recipe as well.

    Handmade at Warratahstree

    ReplyDelete