Friday, April 19, 2013

Parmesan Crusted Dijon Cod


I am always looking for an inexpensive way to add fish onto our plates. Not only do I love fish…I love the health benefits over other choices. After reading a few things on the subject, I prefer fresh over farm raised and a deal can be hard to find. And I have no patience for fishing myself so I am out of luck there. Thankfully my kiddos would eat fish any day over a juicy Rib Eye steak – what’s up with that?!

It’s not a secret that most kids don’t enjoy the seasoned tastes of adults, but I have always set out to balance the desires of all at the table. As a parent this can sometimes be nothing short of a miracle. One of the many things I have learned is that small is better! Maybe it is cuter? Maybe it is more like them? Who knows, but cooking for kids portions from the beginning helps in the appeal of the dish from the beginning.

My youngest will tell you as soon as he sits down to the table, without even trying a bite, “me no like that dinner.” He may even become combative. My oldest will lose his mind after a hard day of first grade, “I told you 1 million times…I don’t like my food touching.” I can’t blame him for that – I was the same way!

Although determined to keep the peace, I refuse to sacrifice flavor for the adult taste buds. Meeting in the middle, these fish fillets do the trick in my house. Quick. Easy. Flavorful. Quiet. DONE!
Ingredients:

1 lb cod, cut into small fillets
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
1 tablespoon coarse ground yellow corn meal
2 tablespoons Italian style bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon mayo
2 tablespoons country style Dijon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Line a baking sheet with foil.

In a shallow bowl mix Parmesan, corn meal, bread crumbs and garlic powder. Set aside.  

Mix mayo, Dijon and pepper in a small bowl. Using a butter knife or spoon, lightly coat cod pieces in mixture.

Dip coated cod in Parmesan crumb mix until top and bottom are lightly coated. Gently place on baking sheet. Warning…this is a delicate process.

Bake for about 12 minutes. If not browned, broil on low for 2 more minutes.

Serve over salad, rice or sautéed veggies. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love the idea of this. No one in my family likes fish, but I'm thinking it will work great on chicken... and over the salad is perfect!

    Holly at Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes holly! I am sure it would be good on chicken tender size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good....Thank you so much for joining out Show Off Your Blog Party. I'm one of the co-host....have a great weekend.

    Jules
    A Dose of Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cod. We have a "hook up" at the local farmer's market for wild caught stuff, but I'll buy the frozen cod as well. I marvel that I ever thought the fish sticks and filets available in the freezer case were good food! Thanks for linking up at Real Food Fridays :)

    ReplyDelete