Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken & Adobo Chili Pepper Chowder


I recently read a headline on my Rachel Ray magazine and it said something like “one million” simple recipes with Rotisserie chicken. Maybe it was 20…or 50…I am not sure because I didn't take the time to read the article or said amazingly simple recipes. I did however immediately want Rotisserie Chicken.

I could literally sit and eat all of the skin off a Rotisserie Chicken and be completely satisfied. For whatever reason I didn't feel like that was a good idea. I couldn't just go to the store for chicken! I already went days ago and had plenty of food to feed this madhouse. I did see a half used can of Chili Peppers in Adobo sauce. If you haven’t used these before they are pretty mild but you still want to use sparingly. I can’t even recall what my husband made with these, but it had to be recent…I hope!

Beans, spinach, carrots, corn - chowder! That is what I will make. Best part about prepping this dinner is that it was nap time and I happily ate half of the skin alone. In peace. The other half made it into the chowder. I am sorry Rachel Ray…but, there’s no way you can make a dinner in 30 minutes with Rotisserie Chicken. It takes 20 minutes at least to just get the meat off the bones!

This chowder was so tasty – I know this because I had it for lunch all week! I am thinking I will make a more sophisticated version of this for the Garlic festival contest.  

Ingredients:

1 small whole Rotisserie Chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper
1 small can of creamed corn
1/2 cup black beans
3 oz baby spinach, chopped
2-3 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, finely chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Directions:

Remove chicken (and skin) from the bones. Shred and/or chop. Place in a slow cooker.

In a medium skillet over medium heat sauté carrots, onion, garlic in olive oil. Add pepper and sauté until onions are soft and translucent. When done add to chicken in slow cooker.

Add corn, beans, spinach, pepper and broth to the chicken. Cook on low for 4 hours.

At about 30 minutes before done, mix milk and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the chowder. 

3 comments:

  1. Love using them also for busy nights. Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this with Foodie Friends Friday. We also enjoy using rotisserie chicken. It really makes getting dinner on the table a lot easier. Hope to see you next week for Cinco de Mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing, what a great way to use Rotiserie Chicken - such great flavoring, why not use it in a soup! :-)

    I am here from Linkin' With My Ladies and am getting you followed via Bloglovin' :-)

    Melanie
    My Imperfect

    ReplyDelete