Thursday, May 23, 2013

Garden Couscous Salad


My husband introduced me to this family favorite. Honestly, I had never tried couscous before this. I can’t believe how versatile it is and simple of course! I still think I need to infuse couscous into our diet more.

Believe it or not, Liam used to love Couscous Salad. Now he would just prefer being in charge of measuring. What happened? Why do they like something healthy one day and not the next? When it comes to vegetables, both kids will only eat broccoli and salad – today anyways! I guess I should be happy they will eat some veggies – trust me this is not for not trying. In fact, the other day we all had late snacks and ended up eating broccoli for dinner. Yes...just broccoli. We were all content. No one cried. No one yelled. We just love broccoli. 


What I don’t love is tomatoes. I know – a tragedy. It’s a texture thing. The exception is I can handle them chopped real small. This recipe calls for everything to be chopped small so amazingly enough the tomatoes go unnoticed to my aversion.

This dish is perfect for company, camping, weekday lunches, etc. Try it out. Add other elements if you want. Take out what you don’t like. Eat it for lunch!

Salad Ingredients:
1 cup couscous, cooked
5 green onions, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 cucumber seeded, finely chopped
2 cups (1 can) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup feta cheese crumbles

Dressing Mix:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Basic couscous:
Bring 1 cup of water to boil. Add tbsp butter and 1 cup couscous. Stir, cover, remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir to fluff.

Mix all ingredients together and toss with dressing.

4 comments:

  1. Couscous is yummy! Unfortunately, I'm the only one who eats it right now :(. I may need to try your recipe though because it sounds good! Might be a way to convince the family! Thanks for sharing with us @ My Fsvorite Posts SHOW OFF Weekend Blog Party!

    Jessica
    The Wondering Brain

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy in my tummy. Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday. I have chosen this yummy recipe as my host favorite for this week.

    Thanks,
    Debra
    Granny's Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Couscous, but like Jessica said I am the only one in my family who does, I keep trying different recipes! Maybe this will be the recipe that makes them see the light that couscous is delicious! Sharing this on my Facebook wall!

    ReplyDelete