Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Bruschetta Sausage Smack Down



I am in love with the Grilled Cheese Academy contest! I just heard about it so I am a little sad I don’t have a lot of time. Man oh Man! The ideas have been circling all week for this contest. Today was grocery day so I needed to make up my mind quickly. I decided to make two sandwiches this weekend for this contest. The prize package is huge and includes cash and cookware.

For my first entry I figured I should go with the “winning” combination of Bruschetta and Italian Chicken Sausage. For those that aren’t aware of my five minutes of fame…this combination got me into the finals for the 2012 Reser’s  America’s Best Potato Salad Recipe contest. It also got me $1,000 and a trip to Vegas with my most awesome mom.



Naturally I used Italian bread (obvious choice) and used garlic and parmesan infused butter to toast it. Layers of course included bruschetta and chopped Italian chicken sausage. I also added spreadable brie and creamy mozzarella. I have to say I will never buy the inexpensive mozzarella again. Most of the time I just pick what is on sale, but this time I splurged and boy did it make a difference - so creamy and gooey.  


I didn’t torture the children with this explosion of flavor on their new taste buds, so I opted for a simple mozzarella and spinach grilled cheese for them as well as corn on the cob. Both of them gobbled it up and were so polite at the table tonight that they earned a Saturday night treat. After they enjoyed a mini cone, I gladly burned some calories pushing them on the swing.   

Since this is a high-profile contest...I can't share the exact recipe here, but after the winners are announced I will.  

1 comment: