Friday, August 16, 2013

Creamy Corn Bread Salad


It’s my husband’s birthday and that means it’s time for a Southern Cook-out. Not that I have any clue what that means. He grew up in Virginia most of his life and claims that is “the South.”  Last time I checked a map Virginia doesn't look too South to me! But, what do I know? I grew up in the Northwest my entire life. If you try to talk to him about it he will start spewing comments about the Mason Dixon Line…or something like that. Anyways…a Southern Cook-out sounded fun!

Oh what to make?! We just got a new smoker and grill for the birthday boy so I know he has the meat department covered. But what kind of Southern dishes should I make? I wanted something fresh and with a punch. After looking around, it didn't take long for me to notice that corn bread had been used in a creamy garden salad – good thing it didn't take long as I am really impatient or maybe just rushed?!

Tonight, after a long two-hour commute home from work I made my version of a Corn Bread Salad. Crumbled sweet corn bread and corn kernels set the state for a garden explosion of vegetables.  And don’t forget the peppered bacon…this is the South y’all. Finished with smoked cheddar and a creamy ranch and yogurt base, I have never had a salad like this before but will again!

Ingredients:

1 pan cornbread (I used a package of cornbread mix)
1 pound pepper bacon, cooked until crisp and sliced
1 cup diced sweet onions
1 orange pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup tomatoes, diced
5 green onion stalks, sliced
15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup smoked cheddar, small cubed
6 ounces plain yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup ranch

Instructions:

Bake cornbread. Cool and crumble and place in large bowl.


Add in bacon, onions, peppers, tomatoes, green onion, corn, beans and cheese. Stir until well combined.

Add yogurt, mayonnaise and ranch and stir until fully mixed.

Cover and refrigerate at least two hours or overnight before serving.

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! I will have to remember this for when it is my turn to make dinner! (Although I keep forgetting, the stupid oven is broken so I can't make the corn bread.)

    ReplyDelete