Monday, October 14, 2013

Cheesy Beef and Bean Baked Burritos



I was planning my weekly menu…yes, I plan my weekly trip to the grocery store with every meal for the upcoming week in mind – don’t judge…I just hate going to the store multiple times a week. In an effort to come up with some easy, barely any cooking involved, meals I turned to my Facebook community for suggestions.

It seems like at least once a week we have pizza night and stir fry, but we all need inspiration after the daily grind. One suggestion was baked burritos. Hmmm…baked burritos…sounds interesting. The more I thought about it (plus I had a coupon for ground beef as well as tortillas), the dish sounded genius to me.

You can see how I put my burritos together below, but as I said just a little inspiration helps. You could really put anything in a tortilla like this and bake it. What a unique way to have a burrito. Another bonus is I had everything prepared on Sunday for assembly on Monday. These were easy enough to assemble while the oven pre-heated, barely any dishes to clean and lunch ready to go.

Ingredients:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Taco seasoning (see below or use a packet)
Vegetable Oil Cooking Spray
3 ounces baby spinach
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 cup American cheese, cubed
10 burrito size flour tortillas

Directions:

Brown ground beef over medium-high heat in oil. Add taco seasoning and 1/4 cup of water. Simmer for about five minutes. (If making in advance stop here and store for assembly.)

Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.

To assemble burritos; make a layer of spinach, beef, onion, beans and cheese down the center. Wrap close side away from you, fold side in and continue to roll tightly and place side down on the cookie sheet.

Lightly spray oil cooking spray on the top of the burritos. Bake for about 20 minutes.  

Cheese will be hot and melty, so do your best to let it sit for a few minutes to set.

Taco seasoning:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  
KID TIP:
Omit the red pepper flakes in the homemade taco seasoning and kids will eat more of this. I made just beef and cheese for the kids and served with carrots to keep the table quiet!


2 comments:

  1. You can never go wrong with burritos on the menu. It's smart of you to make weekly plans concerning what you're going to eat. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very good! I like your Taco Seasoning recipe!! Wish I was organized enough to plan out my meals for a whole week. I always give it a shot but usually end up back at the store. Stopping by from Pin It party. Easy Life Meal & Party Planning

    ReplyDelete