Saturday, December 7, 2013

Salmon Chowder


Cold days call for hearty soups and chowders. Someone told me recently that they made my recipe for Salmon chowder and it was delicious, so I of course decided I had to have it. My salmon chowder was slightly adapted from a recipe my father makes and is filled with fresh flavors.

I actually was blessed enough to have a large piece of salmon in my freezer brought to me by my mother-in-law when she recently visited Alaska. The fish was caught by her nephew and apparently everyone there has freezer’s full of fish – wouldn't that be a dream come true!

After all of the prep work, this recipe comes together very easy. If you are someone who prepares in advance it would be awesome to have this on a weeknight if you had some of the chopping done of ahead of time!

Ingredients:

4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dill
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups diced red potatoes
1 can of cream corn
1 can black beans, drained
1 lb of fresh steamed salmon, flaked into large chunks
4 thick cut pieces of peppered bacon, cooked and chopped
1 can fat free evaporated milk
1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan
Hearty bread for serving

Directions:

In a large soup pot, saute minced garlic, onion and celery in butter until softened. Add pepper, salt, dill, chicken broth and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add corn, beans, salmon, bacon and evaporated milk to the chowder. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Top chowder with shredded Parmesan and serve with bread. Then chowder on down.



No comments:

Post a Comment