Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Smoky Cauliflower Au Gratin


I ate this for dinner and noting else – all food groups are represented…so why not? You’ve heard of potatoes au gratin…now enter cauliflower minus the potato. Such a fabulous side dish minus the excessive carbs.


Ingredients

4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 lb. head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs

Directions:

Preheat oven 350°F.

In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water and salt to a rolling boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until crisp tender, about 5 minutes.

Drain the cauliflower, reserving 1 ½ cups of the water.

In the same warm pot, melt the butter and whisk in the flour to form a roux. Turn heat down to low.

Whisk the reserved water into the roux and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the garlic, nutmeg, pepper, and cheese.

Place the cauliflower in a shallow baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over and top with Panko bread crumbs.


 Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F and broil on low for about 5 minutes until browned on top.


Serve immediately.


2 comments:

  1. Love cauliflower! I started eating it regularly when I first tried the South Beach Diet. I feel like I was deprived in my childhood. I'm pinning for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving that I am finding new things to do with cauliflower, pinned to my veggie board. Followed you here from, From the Farm Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete